Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Comentarios from Maria: Say No to the Separation of Innocent Families

First they came for the Muslims, and we did not remain silent. Now, our community is under attack by the Trump administration, which is fulfilling its promise of massive deportations and we will not remain silent.

Last week, agents of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) began enforcing, under the President’s order, the massive deportations of undocumented immigrants in the country. If you remember, Donald Trump promised to focus on people with criminal records and according to the same agency, of the more than 650 people arrested last week, 75% fit that description. What about the other 25 percent?

No one is against protecting the border. No one is against finding and removing those who have broken the laws of this country. What we do not agree with is the separation of innocent families with no criminal records. People who, not counting those who are undocumented, obey the laws, pay taxes and yet are punished for wanting to be part of this great society.

One of the people arrested in a recent ICE raids was Daniel Ramirez Medina, a 23-year-old who is registered and protected from deportation thanks to President Obama’s deferred action program DACA. Despite having permission to stay and work in the country, Daniel and his brother, also protected by DACA, were arrested when the agents entered his home, violating their rights. Even after repeating to ICE agents that they were allowed to be in the country, they were scolded with “It does not matter, because you were not born in this country.”

That is not the way we treat people. Trump is breaking his promise to a segment of the population that every day goes to sleep with the fear that tonight might be the night that government agents will knock their doors and deport them regardless of their legal status. We have to stop separating families.

Take the case of Jeanette Vizguerra, a mother of 3 American children who is taking refuge in a church in the city of Denver. “Today will not end,” exclaimed Jeanette after being denied relief for deportation. We all have to carry the spirit of this mother until these injustices give way and people who want to contribute to this country have the opportunity to do so under the law.

It’s been less than a month since Trump was inaugurated as president and instead of having the real state and business mogul; we have an egocentric narcissist who feeds off of the chaos that surrounds him. Lie after lie, his administration is creating an alternate reality that even they do not believe.

In spite of all this, the opposition of the people has been massive and we have to count the victories, no matter how small. For example the illegal and unconstitutional order that discriminates against Muslims was stopped by the federal court of the ninth circuit.

In addition, we stopped the nomination of one of the worst nominees to head the Department of Labor, which was replaced by a Latino, at last! Also this week, the national security adviser with links to Russia was fired by Trump.

The Fight Just Begins Friends Go Forward!

Para version en español, haga click AQUI.