Thursday, October 17, 2019

Trump Administration Says Miami is No Longer a ‘Sanctuary City’

On Friday, the Department of Justice informed Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez that the city is now in full compliance with federal immigration requirements and eligible to receive grants based on said compliance. In February, Miami-Dade became the first, and only major city, to reverse its sanctuary policy.

According to a letter from Acting Assistant Attorney General Alan Hanson to Mayor Carlos Gimenez, the county is now eligible for the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program (JAG) grants. In a statement last month, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said that the federal government would withhold those grants, which channel federal criminal justice aid, from ‘sanctuary cities’ that refuse full compliance with the federal government on immigration enforcement.

Despite threats from the Trump administration, no city has lost funding for its sanctuary policies, despite Sessions’ warning. Miami’s change in policy was presumably done to shield the county from retaliation from the Trump administration.

On Monday, Chicago sued the Trump administration over its threat to withhold JAG grants, saying Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainers from violating the constitution and driving a wedge between local law enforcement and communities they protect.

The Hill