Saturday, November 25, 2017

ICE Denies Possible Nationwide Immigration Raids

Federal officials are denying possible plans to conduct a series of immigration raids later this month, citing “adjustments” to their plans due to the hurricanes impacting Texas and Florida. NBC News first reported the possibility of a series of immigration raids slated to start on Sept. 17.

“There is currently no coordinated nationwide operation planned at this time, the priority in the affected areas should remain focused on life-saving and life-sustaining activities,” U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) said in a statement late Thursday.

NBC reports indicate the possible five-day operation would be the “largest operation of its kind in the history of ICE,” according to interviews with officials and a document that outlined the plan. The internal document was termed “Operation Mega” and claimed its focus would be capturing undocumented immigrants who have committed crimes or involved in gang activities.

“While we generally do not comment on future potential law enforcement actions, operational plans are subject to change based on a variety of factors. Due to the current weather situation in Florida and other potentially impacted areas, along with the ongoing recovery in Texas, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) had already reviewed all upcoming operations and has adjusted accordingly,” ICE said.

While the raids are targeting undocumented immigrants who have committed crimes, other undocumented immigrants may be swept up as “collateral.” The move comes just days after the Trump administration announcing an end to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

The Hill